If you’re searching for retirement communities in Savannah, GA, to find an assisted living communities that might be right for you, you’ve made a wise choice. That’s because Savannah has been named one of the 25 Best Places to Retire in 2017 by Forbes.
This historic, southern river city that was founded back in 1733 is home to 146,000 people and is 30 miles inland from the Atlantic Ocean. Besides its ideal location, there are many other reasons why retiring in Savannah is a good idea. Here are a few:
- The cost of living in Savannah is 14 percent below the national average.
- The median home price in Savannah is $118,000.
- There are plenty of physicians per capita for retirees in need of medical care.
- Savannah has mild winters and above-average air quality, which is better for aging.
- Savannah’s economy is thriving compared to many other southern cities.
- There is no state income tax on Social Security benefits in Savannah.
- There is no state estate/inheritance tax in Savannah.
- Savannah residents are offered state income tax breaks on pension income.
- Savannah has plenty of walkable and bike-friendly areas for retirees who like to stay active.
- Savannah is home to the Savannah Victorian Historic District, which is one of the largest National Historic Landmark Districts in the United States.
Now, to be fair, we should share some of the cons to retiring in Savannah, GA. But trust us, there aren’t as many.
- There are parts of Savannah that are economically challenged and therefore the serious crime rate is above the national average in certain neighborhoods.
- Savannah is also very much a tourist town that draws in many visitors and young people, especially during the summer months. Retirees should make sure they’re OK with this before moving there.
- Summers in Savannah are hot and humid.